A Fine Man Once Said:

"Part of the 10 million I spent on gambling, part of it on booze, and part of it on women. The rest I spent foolishly."

- George Raft





Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Brioni "Prince of Wales" Check




I'd forgotten about this beautiful jacket in a brown country Prince of Wales check that I picked up during the summer. Unfortunately, I've already missed a good portion (if not all) of the Fall season here on the East Coast- which this jacket would have been perfect for. 



I've been looking for a colorful check like this in a nice shade of brown for a while, so I was excited when I came across this jacket, made by Brioni for Neiman Marcus. In addition to the shades of brown, there are hints of red, navy blue, light blue, and orange as well. The buttons are a nice shade of blonde with a darker brown edge, which really stands out against the brown hues of the fabric pattern.



If I recall correctly, the sleeves are a bit long and the waist needs to be let out just a bit - I'm hoping to wear the jacket with some crew or v-neck sweaters, so I'd like more room to accommodate a pull-over of some kind underneath.



I'm hoping to drop the jacket at Wilfred's the week after Thanksgiving. Hopefully, I'll be able to report back soon after that regarding the fit of what is an exquisite piece of clothing. 

2 comments:

  1. An addendum to the original post - there is an interesting discussion about the Brioni jacket at Ask Andy (you can find it here: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?160120-Anyone-Else-Bothered-by-Something-About-this-Jacket). Most of the comments have been constructive and helpful. I would agree that the colorful pattern (it probably isn't really a POW check) isn't for everyone. To be honest, its probably the most vibrant combination of colors in my closet, but I've been looking for something like this for awhile - my brother had a jacket like this many years ago, it was always too big for me but it always stuck in my mind as something that I needed to circle back to).

    In defense of the jacket, I will once again plead guilty when it comes to poor photography skills. I'm probably doing the jacket a disservice with the odd angles and flash used for the pics. The colors are bit more muted in real life - for instance, I don't think the light blue that runs the length of the coat is quite as obvious in natural light. And I don't think the button stance is as low as it appears to be.

    I was planning on letting the waist out a bit because I wanted to wear a v-neck or crew-neck under the jacket, so it may be worth asking if the patterns could be matched above the pocket flaps.

    Many thanks for taking the time to view the post and pics and draft a response!

    Best,
    Dan (An Uptown Dandy)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Brioni Prince of Wales check fabric captures timeless sophistication. What Coupons Popular Its distinctive pattern exudes sartorial elegance, making it a staple in classic menswear.

    ReplyDelete