A Fine Man Once Said:

"Part of the 10 million I spent on gambling, part of it on booze, and part of it on women. The rest I spent foolishly."

- George Raft





Friday, November 23, 2012

A Cut Above: Brioni




As I was leaving Chartwell Booksellers the other day with my signed copy of Churchill Style, I noticed that just down the hall from the bookstore is Brioni's New York store.



Much has already been written and re-written about the Roman house of Brioni, which was founded shortly after World War II. By the 1950's, the tailoring house's client list included Cary Grant and Clark Gable. By the 1990s, Brioni was outfitting James Bond (Pierce Brosnan and later Daniel Craig) as well as the "Dapper Don," John Gotti, who by then was already known for his collection of bespoke Brioni suits.



One can enter the store via the 52nd street entrance or the arcade of the Park Avenue Plaza Bulding. The store was very quiet when I passed by on a weekday afternoon, so take your time and peruse the  lovely four and seven fold ties, as well as the wonderful suits and sports jackets that show off the Brioni cut and Roman silhouette.


No comments:

Post a Comment